When you buy or sell a property you want to be prepared.
Herewith a list of expenses you need to budget for:
- Bond cancellation costs: The bondholder appoints attorneys to cancel your bond. You will be responsible for their costs. Currently most attorneys charge between R3000 and R5000 to cancel a bond.
- Clearance figures at the Local Municipality: You will need to pay any outstanding monies due to the municipality as well as about 4 months in advance for all your rates, services and expenses. After registration, the municipality will refund any credit due to you. This varies from council to council but can take between 3 – 12 months.
- Clearance figures at the Body Corporate or Home Owners Association: Your account must be paid up to date as well as 2-3 months in advance. Any credit will be refunded after registration.
- Electrical, plumber, beetle, gas, borer, fencing compliance certificates, where applicable.
- Estate agent’s commission
- Transfer Attorneys Costs: The purchaser is responsible for all the costs in a transfer. The transfer costs are calculated on a sliding scale as prescribed by the law society. You are welcome to contact us for a quote.
- Bond Attorneys Costs: The financial institution where you have applied for a bond will appoint attorneys to register the bond for whose costs you will be responsible.
- Transfer duty: A tax levied by SARS which is payable before registration takes place. Must be paid within six months of signature of the offer to purchase or SARS will charge interest. There are exemptions in certain transfers ( deceased estates, divorces etc. Contact us for more information) These are the Transfer Duty rates applied to properties acquired on or after 1 March 2017, and apply to all persons (including Companies, Close Corporations and Trusts):
| VALUE OF PROPERTY
|0 – 900 000||0%|
|900 001 – 1 250 000||3% of the value above R900 000|
|1 250 001 – 1 750 000||R10 500 + 6% of the value above R 1 250 000|
|1 750 001 – 2 250 000||R40 500 + 8% of the value above R 1 750 000|
|2 250 001 – 10 000 000||R80 500 +11% of the value above R2 250 000|
|10 000 001 and above||R933 000 + 13% of the value above R10 000 000|
- Local Council and/or Body Corporate and/or HOA certificate costs: The administration fees levied by these institutions to issue the clearance certificate are for the Purchaser’s account.
- Local Council / Body Corporate Electricity Deposit